Monday 25 February 2013

why speech therapy?

When I was younger I wanted to be a singer or an actress. When I got to secondary school I wanted to be a pediatric surgeon (put secretly preferred the idea of being an actress) but when it came to my GCSEs I knew I wasn't going to be strong enough in Chemistry to become a real life doctor.
My school gave me the option to take a text called a Morrisby test which is a series of verbal and non-verbal tests designed to give you an option of 12 different careers that you may be interested in. When i got the results, I was given 11 random careers/degrees which I looked into but wan't impressed by, and then the 12th was Speech and Language Therapy. I had never considered it as an option before but I looked into it and by the age of 15, I knew that was what I wanted to do. 

To get on the course you need a hell of a lot of work experience and every summer (and 6 months of my gap year) for the past 5 years I've been volunteering in a wide range of capacities. By far my favorite time volunteering was during my gap year working twice a week in a primary school shadowing a SLT and helping the kids in class. I was at the school when I got the message I had an unconditional offer from Manchester Metropolitan University, and although at the time I was sure I wanted to go to Reading I was over the moon and they were all so happy for me. 
Speech Therapy is a difficult profession to get into, both at Undergrad and Postgrad. There are only a handful of Universities that teach the course and that made it a lot harder to narrow it down to four options. I guess it completely depends on what kind of person and learner you are but MMu is the perfect place for me. I originally had my heart set of Uni of Manchester, then Reading, but I see know that I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I am enjoying MMU. 

The course itself is 3 and a half years (strange but it works out really well) and is full of placement weeks - being thrown in the deep end in a nursery school in week 6 was not great but in the end it was so much fun. The course tuition fees are paid by the NHS which is a plus for my parents but I don't really care about that, although I am grateful, i'm just glad I am on a course I love. 

Here is a link to the University page for SPT if anyone is interested in perusing a career in Speech Therapy/Pathology - http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2013/9816/

Thanks for reading, 



No comments:

Post a Comment